PROGRESS!

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Connections

Hooray! I have heard back from 2 dietitians I have contacted, asking for some time to sit down with them and have a career chat. Hopefully I will be able to speak with them both this week and have some great info. Some other questions I have thought of you ask:

Is there anything about your career that was surprising to you, or that you don't like?
Is this your only "job"?

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of these professionals seem to work part time. Now, this COULD be because they only NEED to work part time, or it could be that this is not the kind of career that is full-time appropriate... meaning, there isn't enough work to make it full time. This is concerning, because that's where I am already coming from, and I don't want to take lots of time, money and commitment to be right back where I am. However, I know that at hospitals, dietitians work full time. But, are they "just" RDs? Or do they have further education? This is what I need to find out. ASAP.
Along with moving toward a degree as a registered dietitian, I am also considering looking into fitness science as well. Gateway offers an associates degree in fitness technology, and since I will be taking a bunch of courses there anyway, I was thinking of adding that. In that vein, my next goal is to start going to the gym. Not just working out at home, but getting to the gym and trying out different classes. I would love Zumba to be my first new class. I'm looking into schedules and will report back here.

No comments:

Post a Comment