PROGRESS!

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Cue the Freak-Out

(Just a side note: Sorry the blog has been so boring. No pics, no fun font or colors. It's my damn work computer. I'll be working on this)


Well, they say you should do one thing a day that scares you.

Did I REALLY think I wasn’t going to get nervous about this damn race?

Of sure, I could act all cavalier about it, but it was brewing down in my gut.

The freak out.

*Deep Breath*

Maybe because this race wasn’t on my radar till more recently than the RM. But now, I’m getting super nervous.

I think its more nerves of the un-known rather than the race itself.

I started getting worried about volunteering for hours before my heat – 7:30 to 11:45, then a 12:00 race. This was a bad idea, but I just didn’t know it yet.

So this morning I sent off frantic e-mails to coordinators to see if I could switch to the 11:00 heat and volunteer after. Then I set about checking my e-mail obsessively.

I finally heard back – they don’t need any more afternoon volunteers.

CRAP.

HOWEVER, she DID say she would switch me to the 11:00 heat.

WIN.

I told her that meant my volunteer time was cut quite short, and I would be happy to come back after my heat and do whatever they needed me to for a few more hours.

Verdict: Accepted.

So, not perfect, but better. I’m just worried about my focus, my mental space, going from the registration table right to starting the race.

The very. Very. Long. Race.

*DEEP BREATH*

Focus: What are my goals for this race?

Goal: Finish - priority

Goal: Finish most obstacles are prescribed.
(I say most because I don’t want to say all. If I make “all” my goal, and one just doesn’t work out, I need to be mentally OK with that)

Goal: Be able to smile at the finish line. Not cry from pain.
(Seriously, I’m not kidding. Have you ever done ¼ of walking lunges with hands behind your head? Me either – yet. I can only imagine it’s going to be painful)

Sections I am most nervous about:
40 pushups. These will not happen all on toe. I am going to do as many as I can on toe, and then I will drop to my knees. I wish I could do 40 pushups on my toes. I just can’t – YET.
Jump lunges. These are hard for me. Mostly on a balance point. I guess they will be what they will be.
8’ walls. There is a rope to help, and the wall is on a little bit of an angle, but I’m nervous about getting up and over these. There are 3 of them
Monkey bars. Never had the opportunity to practice for these at all. Not sure I can make it across 8ft of them. Not sure if I’ll make it 1 foot. Might drop like a stone. I have no clue.

So, that is 4 nerve-wracking challenges out of the 20. Not that I am feeling easy-breezy about the rest, but I know I can do them. Even the running sections. I can just take my slow job pace and keep moving.

Ok, I know you are tired of reading about my obsession here. So, I’ll let it go… for today.

What have you done lately that has scared you?

No comments:

Post a Comment