PROGRESS!

Friday, October 15, 2010

Experiences

This may not seem career related, but while I was thinking about things at the gym today, I realized that it could be. All of our life experiences effect our careers, especially when our careers focus on something passionate to us.
My cousin, Brian, committed suicide almost 6 months ago. April 25. Some of my family and I are participating in a suicide prevention walk tomorrow. It's been on my mind a lot, and making me nervous. It will surely be emotional and difficult.
There are a myriad of reasons I think this post needs to be here, on this blog. Being overweight all my life led me to a lot of pain and suffering. Some I expressed, some I didn't. Sometimes I felt SO alone in my struggle. Not only was I fat, but I was totally out of control with my eating. Binging, hiding food. The guilt, the shame... it was horrific. I did finally realize I wasn't alone, and I started the steps to help myself stop binging, and eventually, through the use of my weight loss surgery tool, I am where I am today, and moving forward in my own health, wellness and weight loss journey. But the experience of the pain I felt for so long is part of what motivates me to move into this new career. There are people out there who think they are alone. Who can't imagine ever feeling OK about eating, food, weight... there are adolescents out there who are bottling things up inside - stuffing feelings down with food. These feelings can obviously lead to depression. Depression killed my cousin. My handsome, intelligent, sweet, hard working, giving cousin. If I can help one person feel just a little better about themselves - just a little better about life, I will have done my job to the best of my ability. When I say I want to work on people as a WHOLE - physically, mentally and emotionally - THIS is why.

No comments:

Post a Comment