PROGRESS!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The finish line

I am the last standing - the strong, the proud. I had fleeting thoughts that perhaps once, just this once, I would be uneffected.
How foolish I am.
Ok, this is super dramatic... but in reality, it's a chest cold that all of my men at home went through, and I really thought I wasn't going to get it. But, last night I felt that all too familiar heaviness in my chest.
*sigh* *cough*
Anyway, I wouldn't care, except that Saturday is my first 5K in over a year and a half. I AM going, sick or not. It's been too much a part of me to blow it off.
Back in August 2009, I completed my first 5K. Almost no training, I walked a really good chunk of it, but I ran as well. When I crossed the finish line to my little Josh and my mom, I burst into tears. I couldn't believe I had just done it. My body ached for DAYS after, but it didn't matter, I KNEW I wanted to do more.
Last 5K "season" I was super-duper pregnant. If I had been in constant training, maybe I could have done a few in March or April, but after that wouldn't have been a no-no. I hadn't been hardcore running all that time, so I knew I would have to wait.
So, here we are - back in action. About 25 lbs lighter than that first 5K, which doesn't seem like a lot in a year and a half, but remember, 9 months of that I was GAINING, and then taking THAT all off again (I gained 50 lbs with Sam, that little stinker!). I am really excited about this race in particular, because it's on my home turf - the West Haven Beach. I know this area and terrain like the back of my hand, and I think that will help when I am pushing through the urge to walk (just to that pier, just to that bocci court...)
I am telling myself consistantly that my only goal is to finish. Running is preferable, walking is acceptable. I want to run as much as I can. I REALLY feel like my body can do it, but my brain "doesn't wanna" - so I have to work on the self-talk.
Tonights workout will either be kickboxing or aerobic/strength training. I've been wearing my pedometer recently, and striving for 10,000 steps per day. I feel like this insure that I move enough during the day - seeing that I am now at a desk job. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment