PROGRESS!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

FitBit Review

FINALLY! IT IS HERE! WHAT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!!!
Ok, not nearly that dramatic.
Here is my own personal FitBit review. FitBit is NOT paying me for this, nor did I receive a FitBit for free (I only wish this were so!)


This little gem is really quite awesome. I have lost 13.6 lbs since I began using it at the end of May. I do give some credit to this little gadget, because it has made me a true data-geek. I LOVE seeing my calories expended, and you can log all your food on the site, and then see your deficit. Fab!
I personally clip it to my bra everyday. It clamps tightly and I have never had an experience where it has fallen off, even during vigorous exercise. You cannot see it, because it's so small. Any guys who might be reading - it clamps just as easily to your pocket or waist band.
One of the super-cool features of this gadget is that it automatically uploads to your PC when you are within 15 feet of the base station (which plugs into your computer). You can wear it all day long, and it will upload as soon as you are close to your computer. So cool!
The Fitbit tracks your calories expended, steps taken, distance traveled AND even tracks your sleep quality! You actually wear it on a little wrist band to bed and it will tell you how long it took you to fall asleep, how long you slept, how many times you woke up, and your overall quality of sleep!
Some other things:
You have the option of tracking activities if you, for example, aren't wearing your FitBit (perhaps swimming - do NOT wear it in the water!), or if you are doing activity, such as weight lifting, where energy (calories) is being expended, but because your movement is somewhat limited, the tracker does not log it accurately.

So, let's break this down:

Things I LOVE about my FitBit:
1. Tracking my steps/calories expended
2. tracking my sleep quality
3. FREE website to track your food and upload your data
4. website is easy to navigate, and you can track your weight, food, activity, blood pressure (note: FitBit does not TAKE your blood pressure), glucose levels (ditto), you can journal... all in one place.

Things I don't LOVE about my FitBit:
1. The food tracking: I needed to add most of my foods to the database, which I found a little annoying. Coming from Livestrong.com, where there was SO much already in the system, I had to get used to that.
2. I wish it had a few more options when it comes to activities to track.
3. I wish there was a way it could track your heart rate, so the calories were that much more accurate.

Overall, I really do love my FitBit. I think it's just the thing I needed right now in my fitness journey. In the future, I may consider upgrading to something more extensive, like a heart rate monitor of some kind, or a BodyBugg... but right now. I love my FitBit!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm...that sounds really awesome. I think I might have to look into this....

    Sarah
    notaneffingdiet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete