PROGRESS!

Friday, August 12, 2011

Standing up for myself: Part 2

Very interesting outcome to my need to confront some bad behavior yesterday. The person confronted wrote to me, quite apologetic, and totally turned around her attitude.

Very, very interesting.

I am really happy it has turned out this way. When I opened my e-mail this morning and saw there was a response from her, I got nervous. I actually tried to get the hubs to log onto my e-mail and read it for me. But, I couldn't reach him, so... I took a deep breath and opened it up - to a very pleasant response. It really caught me off guard (I was kinda ready for a fight, honestly) and got my day off to a nice start.

I guess it can pay to just suck it up, be honest and put your feelings out there. Sometimes, it actually works out.

I am coming crashing down from 4 shots of espresso this morning. Yes, you read that right. And now I am paying for it. If I had anything even REMOTLEY resembling a pillow, I'd be out. Right on my desk.

So, as I insert the toothpicks to keep my eyelids open, I will say that I am going spinning in the AM (in place of my precious Tuff Girl classes - boo!) and hoping that will get my day off to a good start. I'm feeling pretty yuck today. A little dizzy, bloated, overall uncomfortable. My own fault. Too much caffeine this morning=dizzy now, not enough water=bloated now, not eating totally on plan and lacking in movement this week=uncomfortable. You can't bitch about something you are doing to yourself.

One of the blogs I follow with reverence is Tricia. I love her blog... but I was taken by surprise by her latest post. I think it was the visual that really got me... I had to get past it (my cousin committed suicide last year by hanging himself, so it really gave me a jolt). What do you guys think of this? Is Obesity suicide?

At first I thought No. It's different because a person committing suicide plans and follows through with one single act that is meant to cause death. It's short. Quick. Immediate. Obesity is the result of bad choices over a long period of time. If someone looked down at a piece of pizza and said "I will consume this, and I will die right after" - suicide. If a person eats said pizza, knowing it's not good for them, but is highly unlikely to cause their immediate demise - not suicide.

But then, the definition of suicide: the act or an instance of taking one's own life voluntarily and intentionally especially by a person of years of discretion and of sound mind - says nothing about duration.

Certainly one could argue someone with a drug problem is leading themselves to suicide. So, why wouldn't obesity be similar?

It's such a tough question, and frankly, not one I am going to pose an opinion on. For no other reason than I just don't have the answer that feels right to ME yet.

So, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment